Many people these days are living in what is known as the “sandwich generation”. Also known as being a multigenerational caregiver, this means that you are a family caregiver for your elderly parent while still caring for your own children. This can be a meaningful and effective way to maximize your time and energy, and make the most of the efforts that you put forth for everyone who relies on you.
May is Family Wellness Month, the ideal opportunity for you to work with your whole family to achieve greater health and well-being together.
Let these ideas inspire you for ways that you can make family wellness a part of your multigenerational care plan during Family Wellness Month and throughout the rest of your care journey with your senior:
• Find new recipes together. Eating well is an important part of wellness and health. Many busy families rely on convenience foods and fast foods to get meals on the table, but these rarely offer the nutrients that anyone needs to stay healthy. Work together to research recipes that are nutritious and packed with healthy ingredients, but that also appeal to your family’s tastes.
• Go exploring. The weather is warming up and the days are getting longer. Take advantage of it by heading out of the house and exploring the world around you with your family. Go to a local park for a long walk or a picnic. Visit the beach to search for seashells. Try your hand at bike riding or roller skating. Getting active can help you to keep your bodies strong and healthy.
• Plan family game night. Health and wellness is not just about your body. Supporting mental and emotional health is extremely important as well. Studies have shown that families who spend quality time together regularly are healthier, happier, and better able to cope with difficult situations. Planning a family game night is a great way to have fun, share conversations, and make memories while also stimulating your minds, working on social skills, and supporting relationships among the generations.
If you have been looking for ways to boost your parent’s quality of life and enhance their health and wellness throughout their later years, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. Having a care provider in the home with your senior can be a fantastic way to support your care efforts and encourage your loved one to continue with the healthy lifestyle choices even when you are not in the home with them. This can include a wide range of highly personalized services tailored specifically to what your parent needs to keep them safe and healthy, as well as to promote greater wellness. Safe and reliable transportation enables them to be more active and engaged without always having to rely on you. Researching healthy recipes stimulates their mind and helps them to find healthy options that fit in with their dietary restrictions as well as their personal preferences. Encouraging them to stay active and planning activities with them can keep their body stronger and healthier. If you are a multigenerational caregiver, having the support of this care provider can also help you to spend time with the entire family by enabling you to care for your children while feeling confident that your parent is getting the care that they need as well.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Caregivers in Royal Palm Beach, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at 561-829-3080 Today.
Latest posts by mramirez (see all)
- What Changes Can You Make to Be a Little Bit More Active? - June 22, 2017
- What’s the Best Way to Help a Parent with Dementia to Dress? - June 16, 2017
- Tips for Protecting Your Senior from Cancer from the Sun - June 9, 2017