As a family caregiver it is your most important priority to give your elderly parent a high quality of life. While this often includes care tasks that help them to stay healthy, safe, and comfortable, and doing things for them such as grocery shopping and handling their bills, you can also help them to achieve and maintain a lifestyle that is more fulfilling by encouraging them to stay active, engaged, and motivated. Volunteering is a fantastic way to accomplish this goal.
April is ASPCA Month. This is the ideal opportunity for your elderly parent to learn more about the wonderful things that this organization does and to engage in their community through volunteering. Volunteering with animals can help your parent to stay more physically, socially, and mentally active, gives them a sense of value and importance, and can give them the many benefits of interacting with animals, such as lower blood pressure and reduced risk of depression.
Use these tips to encourage your loved one to volunteer during ASPCA Month and throughout the rest of their later years:
• Talk to them about the benefits, including sharpened cognitive functioning, an emotional boost, and the sense of accomplishment that comes from knowing that they are doing something wonderful for the lives of animals in their community
• Help them to identify a role that they can take that works for them as an individual, including their challenges and limitations
• Talk to them about what they do in their volunteer opportunity and help them to feel good about what they are doing
• Consider volunteering alongside them so that the benefits of volunteering come along with spending extra time with you.
Starting elder care for your aging parent can be an exceptional way to help them to maintain a higher quality of life as they age in place. Even if your aging parent does not have extensive care needs, the highly personalize services of an elderly home care services provider can help your parent to address what needs they do have and support them in maintaining a lifestyle that is more independent, engaged, and fulfilling throughout their later years. This can include assisting them with daily tasks that might be strenuous for them, such as cleaning their home and preparing their meals, as well as providing transportation so that they can do the things that they need and want to do, and have the energy to enjoy them. Another valuable way that they can help your parent engage in the type of lifestyle and quality of life that they desire and deserve is through encouraging them to participate more in the world around them, such as through volunteering in their community. By helping them to find the opportunities that are right for them and giving them physical and emotional support to participate in these, this care provider can help your parent to feel more invested in their community and keep them physically, socially, and mentally active.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Elder Care in Palm Beach, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at 561-829-3080 Today.
Latest posts by mramirez (see all)
- Histiocytosis Awareness: Don’t Fall for These Four Myths This September - September 22, 2017
- Dealing with Repetition Lovingly Gives You Better Results - September 7, 2017
- Can You Protect Your Senior from Macular Degeneration? - September 1, 2017