Home Care in Fountain Hills AZ
Starting a home care arrangement can be one of the most beneficial decisions that you can make for your aging parent. This care provider can create a customized approach to care and support that takes your parent’s specific needs, challenges, and limitations into account and ensures that they get the proper level of assistance while also helping them to maintain as much independence as possible. This can enable your parent to live a healthier, more active, and more enjoyable lifestyle as they age in place.
As many benefits as having a home care provider offers to your parent, however, it can be challenging for your senior to transition into this type of care relationship. They may feel as though you are taking away their independence or trying to take over their life by hiring an in home care services provider. They may worry that they are not going to be able to make their own decisions or that they will no longer have the lifestyle that they want. They also may be resistant to having someone they do not know in their home with them helping with tasks that they are accustomed to handling on their own, particularly if those tasks are sensitive in nature.
By taking the time to help make the transition into home care easier for your parent, you ensure that they will get the most benefit from this care and that they can live the quality of life that you know that they deserve.
Some ways that you can make the transition into home care easier for your parent include:
• Make them a part of the planning. You do not want your parent to feel like you are trying to completely take over and micromanage their life. Remember that this is your parent and they deserve respect and consideration in everything that you do, especially when it comes to decisions about their care. If you think that home care would be the right choice for your aging parent, make them a part of the planning. Talk to them about your concerns and why you think that they need care. Let them express their emotions and give you their opinions about the type of care that they should receive so that they feel respected and heard at each step of the process.
• Choose the care provider together. Once you have come to an agreement about your parent’s need for care, take the time to choose the provider together. Talk about what they would like in a provider and go through interview processes together. This way your parent can help determine who they will spend their time with. This helps them to have a connection with this person so that they are more comfortable form the very beginning.
• Ease into the care. If possible, take your time in having the care provider take over care for your parent. Avoid suddenly having the provider there for a full day. Instead, have them come for a few hours at a time while you are there so that they can watch your routine and your parent can get accustomed to having them in the home.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Fountain Hills, AZ, contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at (480) 725-7002.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Preparing Family for a Thanksgiving Visit with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - November 15, 2016
- What Information Do You Need from Your Loved One’s Doctor about Exercise? - November 9, 2016
- Should You Consider Elder Care if Your Parent Moves in With You? - November 2, 2016