Senior Care in Goodyear AZ
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 1 to 5 percent of the total population of older adults over the age of 64 suffer from depression each year. This percentage increases depending on the number of chronic conditions that your senior faces and whether they need to seek regular care and treatment in a hospital setting. The risks associated with depression among the elderly range from everything from headaches and increased pain and stiffness in the joints, to increased risk for the development of serious medical conditions and increased mortality. As their family caregiver it is important that you do whatever you can to help your loved one cope with their depression is ways that are healthy, effective, and supportive of a longer, higher quality life.
One particularly effective decision that you can make for your aging parent is to start senior care for them. Having a senior home care services provider in the home with your loved one can make a dramatic difference in their ability to deal with and even overcome their symptoms to improve and protect their mental, emotional, cognitive, and physical health and wellbeing as they age in place.
Some of the ways that senior care could help ease your parent’s depression include:
- Companionship. Loneliness and isolation are leading causes of depression among elderly adults. A senior home care services provider can be there for your parent to offer valuable companionship and social engagement so that they can have the mental stimulation, emotional boost, and validation that they need. This can be simply having conversations or could include outings, activities, crafts, and more.
- Independence. The perceived loss of independence that can come with older adulthood can be extremely difficult for many older adults to deal with. Your aging parent may dislike having to rely on you for everything, and may feel that they have lost their ability to live the life that they desire for themselves. A care provider can step in to give them a greater sense of confidence and autonomy. This can include providing safe and reliable transportation and modifying tasks to accommodate challenges and needs in ways that let them handle more for themselves rather than relying on others.
- Activity. An active, engaged lifestyle stimulates the brain and helps reduce the instance and intensity of depression. A care provider can help your parent stay more active in a variety of ways. These can be as simple as finding activities such as board games and cooking that they can do in their own home, or as impactful to the world around them as volunteering within the community. Living a more active lifestyle, particularly when it includes a social element, can help your parent to overcome feelings of disengagement and detachment from the world around them. When they feel as though they are still relevant and important to others, seniors are less likely to feel depressed and more likely to have the motivation to life a more fulfilling, healthier quality of life throughout their later years.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Goodyear, AZ, contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at (480) 725-7002.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Preparing Family for a Thanksgiving Visit with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - November 15, 2016
- What Information Do You Need from Your Loved One’s Doctor about Exercise? - November 9, 2016
- Should You Consider Elder Care if Your Parent Moves in With You? - November 2, 2016