Homecare in St. Petersburg FL
Older adults are more susceptible to developing a chronic health problem and many elders have between one and five of them. Some conditions can’t be prevented, but others could be stopped if the elder were to get an exam done.
The following exams can be done at the elder’s doctor’s office and are primarily meant for women. Older adults may be intimidated to get these physical exams, but a home care provider can be hired to support your loved one during this time, as well as helping them with any tasks at home that are too difficult for them to do.
Exams for Women over the Age of 65
- Bone density screening: Since osteoporosis is a huge problem among elderly adults, checking their bone density will ensure that their bones are strong and free of this disease. Once your loved one hits the age of 65, they should have this screening done every two years.
- Colorectal cancer screening: This type of cancer screening checks the rectum and colon for any signs of cancer. Talk to the elder’s doctor to find out when they will need this done.
- Diabetes testing: As your parent gets older, their chance of developing diabetes increases. A test will be completed to test the level of glucose in your loved one’s body and should be done every three years.
- Hepatitis C testing: This test is done to find out if the elder truly has hepatitis C. Getting this screening test done once a year.
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone screening: This test can be used to find out if the elder’s thyroid gland is working properly. It should be done every five years.
- Mammography: An x-ray of the breast is conducted to see if there is any trace of cancer. This should be done every year, but have your loved one talk to the doctor to find out how often they would like the elder to get tested.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring In-Homecare in St. Petersburg, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff At Assisting Hands Home Care Today! 727-748-4211.
Latest posts by Becky Moultrie (see all)
- Coping with the Memory Problems of Dementia - March 22, 2017
- Slow Down, Enjoy a Meal, and Remain a Healthy Caregiver - March 16, 2017
- What Tools Can You Use for a Loved One Who Is Disoriented about Time? - March 8, 2017