Walking to #endALZ!
On Saturday, October 29, 2016, over 1000 people came out to Bright House Fields in Clearwater for the Annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s. It was great to see all the families & friends out supporting those who have or are suffering for Alzheimer’s Disease.
The Team from Assisting Hands Home Care was on hand to pass out waters and purple Alzheimer’s awareness wristbands at the halfway point in the walk. All seemed very appreciative of the cool drink after the first mile.
The Walk to End Alzheimer’s is held annually in over 600 communities nationwide. It’s the largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research. This inspiring event calls on participants of all ages and abilities to reclaim the future for millions.
It is estimated that as many as 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease with over a half million right here in Florida. And that is estimated to grow by more than 41% here in the Sunshine State in the next 10 years, according to ALZ.org.
Assisting Hands Home Care of St. Pete is proud to serve our community by providing care in support to those families impacted by Alzheimer’s. We sponsor two support groups:
- Memory Café: On the second Tuesday of the month at 10 am at Park Station in Pinellas Park. Those suffering from Memory loss can come with their caregiver to a safe environment where they can share memories and engage in fun activities related to the season.
- All About ME™, Maximizing Energy for the Caregiving Journey, a support group on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 6 pm at Edwards Elder Law, 2510 1st Ave. N., St. Pete.
Dr. Cate McCarty, Dementia Coach, leads both support groups. For more info about these groups, visit Dr. Cate’s website.
Are you or your family in St. Petersburg and looking for help caring for a loved one suffering from Alzheimer’s or another dementia causing illness, contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands Home Care of St. Pete at 727-748-4211 for a free in-home consultation today.
Latest posts by Becky Moultrie (see all)
- October 23 – 29 is National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week: Are Older Adults at Risk? - October 11, 2017
- Remedies for Foot Cramps in Elderly Loved Ones - October 3, 2017
- What Can You Do to Help Your Parent Battle Cardiovascular Problems? - September 29, 2017