Although Valentine’s Day is typically about love and romance, you can make it a special day for your senior citizen parent. Your mom or dad may have spent the majority of their life with their spouse, but life has its endings and often makes special days feel like just another day, or even worse. Providers of in home care for seniors suggest that Valentine’s Day, just like your parent’s anniversary or birthday, are still days that need to be celebrated and loved. Here are some ways to make your parent feel special on Valentine’s Day:
- Deliver flowers personally. If not flowers, a plant. Make it a special delivery.
- If your father wrote love letters to your mom, take the day to sit with mom and read through some of the letters. Share their love and cherish the memories with her.
- Sometimes it’s hard for dad too. Providers of in home care for seniors suggest you can share these same letters with him and express to him how special you think he is.
- Reprint an old picture of your parents and frame it and give it to your mom or dad.
- If your mom or dad did something special on Valentine’s Day, continue the tradition with them or create a new tradition.
When celebrating Valentine’s Day, include another senior citizen who may not have someone else in their life. Providers of in home care for seniors say this little random act of kindness will make a big difference in their life and yours as well. Love comes in many different varieties and adding a little sugar and spice to make Valentine’s Day Special will swell your heart.