If your mother or father wants to begin a mall walking routine but doesn’t know how or where to start, why not ask a senior home care agency? The professionals at your local senior home care agency have information on many topics, and if they don’t, they know where to look for them. You may not have the answers for your parent when they ask, but at least you will know who to contact.
The senior home care agency has a lot of information on the health and welfare of senior citizens. When your mom or dad decides in March they want to start a walking exercise program but it’s still too cold outside, and the agency may suggest mall walking. Of course, you and your parents have heard of mall walking, but you may not know how it works. In fact, you may worry about your mother or father being bumped into by shoppers that may be rushing around in a hurry. This is where the senior home care agency can be of help in explaining why mall walking is accessible and safe. Below are some of the benefits of mall walking:
- Your parent is walking on an even surface, indoors and out of the elements.
- Most malls have special hours for mall walkers prior to store hours to avoid the shoppers and other annoyances.
- Safer out of the way of traffic, mom or dad will not be dodging cars or traffic lights.
- Malls have security guards as well as security cameras.
- Medical response is much quicker if needed. Mom or dad is walking with many other seniors too.
- Restrooms, water, and food are close by, making walking an activity and an outing all in one.
- Mall walking prepares your mom or dad for other activities whether it is outdoor walking, golfing, tennis or just spending time with friends. Meeting friends and having a conversation can lead to many exciting times ahead.