VA Home Care in Fort Myers, FL
There are many people above the age of 65 who have served in the U.S. armed forces and many of these veterans may be eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits. VA benefits are offered through the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and veterans age 65 and older must apply through the department to obtain the benefits. If you or your loved ones are eligible to receive VA benefits, our professionals at Assisting Hands Home Care can work with you to determine how these benefits can be applied to our home care services.
At Assisting Hands Home Care, we provide VA home care services in Fort Myers, FL for veterans and their spouses who are eligible for VA benefits. Eligible veterans will receive quality care and companionship from our licensed and trained caregivers so they can live safely and comfortably at home. When you or your loved ones inquire about our VA care services, we will come to your home and assess your care needs so we can form an effective care plan.
VA Pension Benefits
In order to receive VA benefits, you need to apply for them through the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. The benefits received can go towards home health care to help offset the costs. The following is a general list of requirements to help determine if veterans are eligible for VA benefits:
- Veterans and the living or surviving spouse of a veteran must be 65 or older
- Typically must have a combined monthly household income of below $3000 for couples, $2600 for a single veteran, or $2000 for a surviving spouse
- Retirement account must be less than $123,600
- Surviving spouse applying must have been married to the veteran at the time of the veteran’s death
- Veteran must have served at least one day of active duty during a time of war
Other questions applicants may be asked include:
- Do you need help with activities of daily living (ADLs)?
- Have you applied for benefits or currently receive benefits from the VA for wounds suffered during military service?
- Do you plan on living at home for a year or have a discharge date to return home if currently living at a facility?
Veterans and their spouses who qualify for VA benefits may receive home care through the following VA care programs from Assisting Hands:
VA Home Health Aid (HHA) Homemaker/ Home Health Program
With this program, veterans and their spouses can receive 12 hours of home care per week. Those interested in this care program must be evaluated for geriatric extended care (GEC) by a medical doctor (MD), social worker (SW), or registered nurse (RN). Veterans must also meet the following criteria:
- Dependency for at least 3 activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Significant cognitive impairment
VA Respite Care
Veterans who need temporary home care or respite care can apply for our VA respite care program. Applicants for this program must complete an evaluation from a medical doctor, registered nurse, or social worker and meet the following criteria:
- Dependence for 3 or more ADLs
- Significant cognitive impairment
Call Assisting Hands Home Care for a Free Consultation
If you or your loved ones are over the age of 65 and are eligible for VA benefits, call Assisting Hands Home Care for our VA home care services. We will provide a free initial consultation to assess your care needs and discuss your VA care options with you.
You can reach us at (239) 221-6326 to learn more about the VA care options offered in Fort Myers, FL.
Related VA Home Care Services: