There are more than 70 million people over the age of 65 who have spent time serving in the U.S. armed forces. A lot of these veterans are also eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits that can be obtained through the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. Those who apply for VA benefits must be a veteran or the spouse of a veteran and over the age of 65. Our professionals at Assisting Hands Home Care can work with veterans and their spouses who are eligible for VA benefits to determine the type of home care they need and how their benefits can contribute to the cost of care.
VA Home Care in Cape Coral, FL
Assisting Hands Home Care provides VA home care services for eligible veterans and their spouses in Cape Coral, FL and the surrounding areas. Our professional caregivers will assess the care needs of senior veterans to form a complete care plan. We can cover a wide range of care needs including activities of daily living (ADLs) and assistance around the house such as light housekeeping, meal preparation, and transportation.
VA Pension Benefits
Veterans and their spouses must apply with the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to receive VA pension benefits. Once given VA benefits, the money can be used to help pay for home health care. Those applying for VA benefits must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Must have a combined monthly income of less than $3000 for couples, $2600 for single veterans, and $2000 for a surviving spouse
- Must have less than $123,600 in retirement account
- Those applying must be older than 65
- Must have served active duty at least one day during war time
- Surviving spouses must have been married to the veteran at their time of death to be eligible
The following questions are commonly included in the application process:
- Will you be living at home for the next year? If you live in a facility, do you have a discharge date to return home?
- Do you require assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)?
- Do you receive benefits from the VA for wounds suffered during military service or have you applied for this benefit?
If you or your loved ones are eligible for VA benefits, Assisting Hands Home Care can provide home care for you through the following programs:
VA Home Health Aid (HHA) Homemaker/ Home Health Program
Veterans and their spouses who receive VA benefits can receive 12 hours of home care per week with our VA home health aid program. To receive care, those who apply must undergo an evaluation for geriatric extended care (GEC) by a social worker (SW), medical doctor (MD), or registered nurse (RN). The following criteria must also be met:
- Dependency for 3 or more activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Significant cognitive impairment
VA Respite Program
Our VA respite program is beneficial for veterans and their spouses who need respite care or temporary home care. Those interested in this care program must undergo an interdisciplinary assessment involving medical doctors, social workers, and registered nurses and meet the following:
- Dependent on assistance for 3 or more ADLs
- Significant cognitive impairment
Free In-Home Consultation from Assisting Hands Home Care
Talk to our professionals at Assisting Hands Home Care about our VA home care options if you or your loved ones are eligible to receive VA benefits. We will come to your home for a free consultation to evaluate your care needs and help decide which VA care option is best for you.
Give us a call at (239) 221-6326 for more information about our VA home care in Cape Coral, FL.
Related VA Home Care Services: