Falls are the leading cause of injury and death for senior citizens over 65, according to the CDC. Illnesses, medication mishaps, and environmental factors are just a few of many reasons falls are so common. According to current data, people who have previously fallen are 75% more likely to fall again within six months.
However, there are preventative measures you and your loved ones can take to minimize the risks, such as contacting a local home care agency like Assisting Hands for fall prevention services in Fort Worth, TX.
In-Home Fall Prevention
It is important that you and your loved ones have a clutter-free and safe environment if you want to prevent in-home falls. Follow these practical steps:
- Maintain a well-lit home and use night lights in the evening
- Avoid using ladders and step stools
- Remove throw rugs and tack down loose carpets
- Wear shoes with nonskid soles (instead of slippers or sandals)
- Ensure that your floor is clean of liquids and not waxed
- Remove loose cords from pathways and keep floors clear
- Install handrails on both sides of the stairwell
- Install grab bars and handles near toilets, showers, and bathtubs
Let Assisting Hands Help
If you or your loved one find it difficult to complete everyday tasks like preparing food, standing, or getting out of bed, you may want to consider hiring outside help. In-home caregivers are available to aid your aging loved ones based on their specific needs. The caregiver can help with meal preparation, light housekeeping, and medication reminders.
At Assisting Hands Home Care, we train all our caregivers in fall prevention through the Fall Prevention Centers of America. You or your loved one may benefit from an in-home caregiver to help with everyday tasks that have become increasingly more difficult.
Call Assisting Hands Home Care at (817) 803-6648 to schedule a free consultation for our fall prevention services in Fort Worth, TX, and the surrounding areas.