Assisting Hands in Downers Grove, IL is a Trusted Alzheimer’s Care Agency
In essence we provide essential, non-medical services in the comfort of the affected individual’s home, and employ strategies developed to diminish their rate of memory loss.
Memory loss scenarios are as difficult for the family members of affected individuals as they are for the ones experiencing the memory loss.
This is because of everything that must go on behind the scenes to ensure that the one struggling receives the care that they need. At Assisting Hands Home Care, we do our part by providing Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care services.
The Benefits of In-Home Memory Care
There are very clear advantages to providing memory care services in the familiar surroundings of the affected individual’s home. It not only decreases their anxiety but also helps them retain some of the memories they had in the home.
If they are moved to an assisted-living community, for example, they may not know where they are, or why they are there. This will be on their mind regularly and can have a negative effect as they learn to cope with the unfamiliar environment.
Signs and Symptoms of Memory Loss
There are a number of things to look out for when you suspect that a loved one is suffering from memory loss. Some of the primary examples include the following:
- Agitation and frustration
- Loss of cognitive ability
- Short-term memory loss
Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Services Provides by Assisting Hands Downers Grove
At Assisting Hands Home Care, we provide monitoring and care services for individuals struggling with memory loss. The Alzheimer’s Association stated that the degenerative disease can last anywhere from 6 to 20 years, and often begins with a slow, gradual progression.
While there is no cure for Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, proper care and mental stimulation can prolong the memories of affected individuals. We assist with the following:
- Wandering: This is a common side-effect of memory loss and can pose a serious safety concern. Falling, leaving appliances running, and exiting the home are major risks. Our caregivers monitor these situations and provide assistance as necessary.
- Self-Care: Nutrition, hygiene, and similar aspects of day-to-day life are often neglected by those suffering from memory loss. We ensure that meals are not skipped, baths are not forgotten, and the restroom is used when needed.
- Taking Medications: Medications are prescribed to be taken at specific times, under specific conditions, and in specific dosages. We help affected individuals follow these important requirements to avoid serious health complications. We also monitor the remaining quantities of medications, and refill them at the pharmacy as needed.
- Companionship: Social interaction is a major facet of any effective memory care program. The importance of regular engagement cannot be overstated. We participate in conversations, games, and other activities to keep clients mentally stimulated and happy.
We understand the complicated nature of memory loss, and our caregivers do everything we can to help. We are proud to assist affected individuals in the Downers Grove, IL, community.
To utilize our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services, simply contact our Assisting Hands Home Care representatives at (630) 352-3656