If you are a family caregiver, and are going through the process of finding additional help, read on to find out what to ask, as not all home care agencies are created equal.
Using an agency to provide care may give your aging loved one and your family a false sense of security regarding their background and skill set. Just because they are an agency employee doesn’t necessarily mean they are trained to care for your loved one.
Home health care is an option many caregiving families seek and enjoy to great satisfaction. It not only offers extended freedom and independence for their aging loved ones, but it also presents a challenge. This type of care requires inviting and trusting a stranger into their loved ones private residence. Therefore, it is vital for families to consider and research all possibilities as they search for agencies or private individuals to provide this care.
So, in order to find the best agency or individual, you need to do your homework. By being an educated consumer, you can find a qualified, reputable agency that employs home health aides who will provide care with compassion and skill.
A few questions to ask before you hire an agency
- Number one on the list is to go through a well-known agency. Get references and be sure to compose a list of questions for them when you call. Assisting Hands Home Care Agency has been around for over 12 years providing In Home care to aging loved ones across US.
- What recruiting methods do they use? How are they finding job candidates? Newspaper ads? Staff agencies? Craig’s List? Assisting Hands Home Care Agency uses nationally accredited recruiting tools, which prescreen candidates before submitting them to the HR department
- What are their hiring requirements for prospective employees? Assisting Hands only hires experienced caregivers after extensively vetting their backgrounds and obtaining referrals from their past work place
- Do they ask about prior experience? Past work experience references are required to be provided by all caregivers applying for the job
- Are employees required to be available for certain shift lengths? Assisting Hands provides services ranging from One hour to full day, live in caregiving.
- How many families does the agency serve? We proudly serve Waukesha, Milwaukee, Washington & Ozaukee counties, References available upon request.
- What screenings are performed before hiring? Criminal background checks, federal or state? Drug screening? Assisting Hands Home Care Agency performs all necessary checks required to hire the best candidates.
- How does the agency assess each caregiver’s capabilities? At Assisting Hands, extensive training is provided, in a group setting or one on one basis if needed. Caregivers are given series of tasks to perform and assessment is done based on the completeness and accuracy of execution
- What is their proficiency level in basic care, their strengths, weaknesses? Their individual interests also play a role in finding a good fit for clients. At Assisting Hands state of the art software program is used to match clients with caregivers. Utmost care is taken in matching Client needs with caregiver capabilities., both at professional and personal level.
- Does the agency provide training? Ongoing training is provided for caregivers looking to learn extra on the job, or progress from Companion care to more specialized care
- What does that training entail? Are they knowledgeable about elderly health conditions and certified in CPR? Training modules entail details on all elderly heath conditions. All caregivers hires by Assisting Hands Home care Agency are CPR certified.
- Are employees insured and bonded through the agency? What is the procedure if there is ever a suspicion or accusation of theft or abuse? All Assisting hands Home Care Agency employees are licensed and bonded, workman’s compensation is also provided in rare cases for a mishap at clients home. Theft & abuse accusation are dealt with the severe consequences, to clients satisfaction by reporting to the law enforcement, leading to termination, if found guilty
- Is the agency diligent about sending the same person to the home, rather than a revolving door of strangers? (Keep in mind there are benefits to having two primary in-home aides to establish a relationship, so that if one moves on, there is another familiar with the family and their routine.) At Assisting Hands Home Care Agency, we assign a primary caregiver and a secondary caregiver to all our clients, so time offs for caregivers can be accommodated and client always sees familiar faces.
- If you are not satisfied with a particular person, will the agency provide someone else? Assisting Hands Home Care Agency has a pool of caregivers and we do our best to match the client needs with caregiver capabilities. In case a replacement is needed, it is provided within 24 hours.
- Does the agency evaluate the quality of the care provided on a regular basis? How frequently? Who conducts the evaluation? Assisting Hands Home Care, owners conduct evaluations of caregivers and the quality of care being provided by visiting Clients home during a shift and getting first hand information from the family of the aging loved one. We take great pride in customer satisfaction.
At Assisting Hands® Home Care, our skilled caregivers provide companionship for your loved ones and make sure they are eating right and getting the appropriate physical activity. Whether you need someone to be with you or your loved one during the day, in the evening or overnight, our at-home care can accommodate your needs. You will have peace of mind knowing that they aren’t home alone when they need help with medication, fall prevention, personal care, eating or other needs.
Contact us today to schedule your free in-home care assessment at 262-721-1155. To learn more about our in home care, click here.