Elder Care in Royal Palm Beach FL
Approximately 6 and a half million adults over the age of 65 throughout the United States deal with some degree of low vision or vision impairment. This loss of vision can have a serious impact on your parent’s quality of life and ability to live independently. Fortunately a few simple home modifications along with the assistance of an elder care provider can enable your parent to cope with their loss of vision and continue to life the independent lifestyle that they desire and deserve.
Some simple home modifications that you can make to help your senior coping with low vision include:
• Illuminated keyboards. Being able to use a computer confidently is a fantastic skill for your elderly parent. They can enjoy researching topics that interest them, doing some shopping online, or even keeping up with friends and family through social media. If they are suffering from low vision, however, they may have difficulty using a traditional keyboard. Backlit keyboards are illuminated from behind the keys, making it easier to differentiate the keys and use them even in low lighting conditions.
• Make bold furniture distinctions. A senior with low vision may struggle with being able to see the edges of furniture, walls, and corners. This can cause them to walk into them, causing injury and increasing the risk of them suffering falls. Making bold distinctions can help your loved one see these more clearly so that they can navigate their space with greater confidence. For example, avoid having the floors and walls the same color, and make sure that the furniture stands out against the flooring.
• Invest in a magnifier. If your parent enjoys crafting they may be experiencing greater challenges with these tasks due to their vision limitations. Magnifying lamps provide both directed lighting and magnification to help your parent focus on the details of their craft project so that they can see more easily and do not strain their eyes even more.
• Add dimmer switches. The sudden change from a bright lighting situation to one with little to no lighting can be disorienting for a senior with low vision and make them struggle to see properly even more. Dimmer switches allow them to gradually reduce the lighting in a room so that they are not as startled by the change. This also allows them to leave lights on throughout the home to help them get around in the night without having to have the bright full lighting.
Starting an elder care arrangement for your aging parent can be one of the best choices that you can make for them, especially if they are starting to deal with the issues of low vision. This elderly home care services provider can be there for your parent to help them handle their symptoms and provide assistance to manage tasks that your parent may find challenging. This can help your parent maintain more independence throughout their aging years and keep their mental and emotional health high.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Elder Care in Royal Palm Beach, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at 561-829-3080 Today.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Four Myths About Seniors and Computers - April 8, 2021
- 5 Tips for Coping with Family Conflict during Your Caregiving Journey with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - April 1, 2021
- Music to Our Ears: How Music Promotes Healthy Aging - August 15, 2020