Hepatitis is a potentially serious illness that impacts millions of people throughout the United States each year. With three individual variations, this infection impacts the body in a wide variety of ways and can result in chronic infections that linger with the person throughout their lives. Though these infections lead to thousands of deaths each year, a large percentage of those who experience them do not have any signs or symptoms associated with them. This makes it extremely important that you understand the potential complications of this type of infection so that you are able to help your senior manage their condition and monitor how they are coping with it throughout their later years.
Some of the potential complications of hepatitis include:
- Fibrosis of the liver, which is a type of scarring caused by consistent inflammation
- Cirrhosis of the liver, which is a more advanced form of fibrosis that features scarring severe enough that it negatively impacts the functioning of the liver
- Cancer of the liver
- Liver failure
- Glomerulonephritis, which is a condition of the kidneys caused by inflammation from chronic hepatitis C or B infections
- Cryoglobulinemia, which is a condition characterized by circulation problems caused by blocked blood vessels from chronic hepatitis B or C infections
- Hepatic encephalopathy, which is an inflammation of the brain caused by liver failure or severe loss of function in the liver
Portal hypertension, which is a condition in which the circulation system of the liver is blocked, preventing the blood from returning to the liver from the digestive system
- Porphyria, which is a rare disease caused by chronic hepatitis infection and characterized by blistering of the face and hands
If your aging parent has recently been diagnosed with hepatitis, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. Managing the issues and challenges associated with serious health complications such as hepatitis is challenging, and having the highly personalized support of an elderly home care services provider with your parent can give both them and you as their family caregiver reassurance that they will have the care, support, encouragement, and assistance they need to maintain their quality of life as they age in place.
This can include helping them to understand the issues that they are facing, giving them reminders to help them remain compliant with their medications, treatments, and the guidelines set forth for them by their doctor, and helping them to make good lifestyle choices that will support overall health and well-being, such as eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise. When it comes to the complications that can occur as a result of hepatitis, you can get peace of mind knowing that this elderly home care services provider is with your aging parent and can monitor their condition. If they notice new or worsening symptoms or issues, they can bring them to your attention so that you can make the decisions regarding their continued care that are right for them.
Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at (561) 781-5885, If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Elderly Care. Boynton Beach families trust Assisting Hands Home Care for high-quality and affordable home care services.