Home Care in Boca Raton FL
Immune health is a major concern among older adults. In fact, seniors are more likely to develop influenza viruses than any other age group. As frightening as it is to think that your parent could be at higher risk for the flu, there are ways to strengthen their immune system.
Even if your loved one has gotten a flu vaccine, use these tips to improve overall health and reduce the risk of becoming ill:
- Get plenty of sleep. When the elder does not get enough sleep, they are unable to control their emotional health and stress as well as they would if they were well-rested. By aiming for 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night, your loved one will be able to remain much calmer and happier.
- Quit smoking. If your loved one smokes, their lungs will not be the only thing affected. This unhealthy habit will also affect their immune system defenses, causing them to get sick more frequently. The senior will then be at a higher risk for contracting pneumonia, bronchitis, or middle-ear infections.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Drinking in excess could also increase the elder’s risk of developing lung infections. To prevent this from happening, men should have no more than two drinks per day and women should have no more than one.
- Eat a healthy diet. By eating a diet rich in fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds, your loved one will be getting many of the nutrients and minerals their body needs to stay healthy. In fact, one study showed that seniors who ate plenty of fruits and vegetables had an improved antibody response to the Pneumovax vaccine, which protects against Streptococcus pneumonia.
- Take probiotics. With the doctor’s approval, the elder can also benefit from including probiotics into their supplement regimen. It can help reduce the amount of gastrointestinal and respiratory infections the elder may develop.
- Soak up the sun. Spending time in the sun will also increase the amount of vitamin D the elder receives. All the elder needs is between 10 and 15 minutes of sun exposure each day to reap the benefits. However, if sunny days are far and few between in your loved one’s area, especially during the winter months, vitamin D supplements can be purchased over the counter or as a prescription.
These tips will help your loved one’s immune system stay strong, but if you are concerned over how well they are caring for their body, a senior care provider can be hired. This caregiver can help by monitoring the elder’s daily habits, reminding them to take their medications, and assisting with any tasks the elder may have trouble doing alone.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Home Care in Boca Raton, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at 561-829-3080 Today.