Senior Care in Wellington FL
There is always a lot of buzz about the benefits of fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids. For caregivers of seniors who don’t eat fish regularly, fish oil supplements may be something to think about. But, what are fish oil supplements and what benefits can they have for seniors? Read on for some useful information about these beneficial supplements.
What is a fish oil supplement?
Fish oil supplements are capsules filled with fish oil. Fish oil contains 2 of the most important omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Omega-3 fatty acids cannot be created by the human body, which is why humans must get them from outside sources such as fish. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to help the blood clot less easily and to have anti-inflammatory properties. Dosage amounts for fish oil supplements vary based on the reason for taking them.
What are the benefits of taking fish oil supplements?
- Fish oil has been thoroughly researched and has many benefits, including these:
- The FDA has approved fish oil for lowering triglyceride levels. For seniors with high triglycerides, fish oil may be effective and some prescription triglyceride medications actually contain fish oil.
- Fish oil may be effective in preventing and managing heart disease as eating fish and fish oil can help keep the heart healthy.
- In addition to preventing and managing heart disease, some research has show that fish oil has other benefits for heart health. It may help prevent stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irregular heartbeat, clogged arteries, and blood clots.
- Fish oil is sometimes used to help treat kidney disease, kidney failure, and kidney problems caused by cirrhosis or diabetes.
- Fish oil is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which are sometimes called “brain food.” Fish oil may be effective in improving the mental health of seniors suffering from depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD, migraines, and other mental health problems.
- Fish oil may help those with vision and eye problems such as dry eyes, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and cataracts.
- Fish oil may have benefits for those suffering from certain digestive problems such as Crohn’s disease, ulcers, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Note: It is important for your senior loved one to discuss any new supplement regimes, including fish oil supplements, with their doctor before starting.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring Professional Senior Care in Wellington, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at 561-829-3080 Today.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Four Myths About Seniors and Computers - April 8, 2021
- 5 Tips for Coping with Family Conflict during Your Caregiving Journey with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - April 1, 2021
- Music to Our Ears: How Music Promotes Healthy Aging - August 15, 2020