In early May, Marina Ramirez, CEO of Assisting Hands Home Care© Palm Beach attended a presentation by the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach hosted by Partnership for Aging Palm Beach. Georgene Eisenberg, from the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, spoke about the Elder Law Project which provides pro bono high quality civil legal advice, representation and education, to disadvantaged Seniors age 60 and over in Palm Beach County.
The Legal Aid Society started in 1949 and at its inception employed one attorney whose purpose was to give free legal advice to the economically disadvantaged. Court litigation was referred to members of the Palm Beach County Bar Association who handled the cases on a voluntary no-fee basis. This was the post-war era and for our county the beginning of rapid migration. Growth was fueled by soldiers returning with “sand in their shoes” to the tropical setting they discovered while stationed at one of the local military bases. They were seeking jobs or retirement in the Sunshine State. Downtown West Palm Beach flourished and television made its first appearance in the county before an audience of reporters and Philco TV dealers. Social problems were handled through churches, neighbors and families.
Almost 70 years has passed and The Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County continues to be recognized as a growing and dynamic organization that personalizes the human and social needs within the legal framework. As one of the first social service agencies serving Palm Beach County, they highlight the thousands of clients, pro bono attorneys, generous supporters and collaborating partners who have come together through their commitment to enhance the opportunities and living conditions for the disadvantaged in Palm Beach County through equal access to justice. With continued support, the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County is fulfilling their mission into the future.
These are some of the services they provide locally:
- Advocacy for foster children and children orphaned through catastrophic events and violence;
- Protection for vulnerable elderly citizens, whose numbers increase each day;
- Safe refuge for families affected by the tragedy of domestic violence and homelessness;
- Representation for HIV infected men, women and children, each coping with the challenges of a devastating disease;
- Educational advocacy for physically and developmentally challenged children;
- Intervention for children and youth at-risk for delinquency, truancy and recidivism;
- Advocacy for immigrants seeking legal residency and citizenship;
- Education and representation for those at risk for housing discrimination;
- Planning and advocacy for clients and their families facing end of life issues;
- Hurricane preparedness education for Palm Beach County non-profits, and advocacy for our elder residents dealing with post storm issues;
- Advice, representation and education regarding Federal and State employment laws to enrolled Palm Beach County non-profits.
If you like more information about how you can qualify for their services please visit their website Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach Inc.
Follow Assisting Hands Home Care© Facebook Page @AHPalmBeach to track our commitment and support of this dynamic organization.