When is the right time to start talking with mom and dad about additional help? In many instances seniors are determined to live independently and remain in the home and neighborhood that they love. In addition, they often refuse any type of help.
There are several signs that we should watch out for which will tell us that it is no longer safe for an older adult to live alone:
- Difficulty with activities of daily living such as bathing, cooking and dressing,
- Lack of mobility,
- Difficulty with driving,
- A declining chronic health condition such as dementia or congestive heart failure,
- A recent fall or accident,
- Loss of friendships or active participation in group activities (social isolation),
- Signs of forgetfulness, such as moldy food in the refrigerator,
- Medication management issues,
- Forgetting appointments,
- Unable to keep up with daily chores and housekeeping,
- Poor nutrition or malnutrition or expired, moldy food in the fridge,
- Unable to pay bills on time
If you notice that your loved one suffers from any or many of the above, they probably need home care. Even in their own home, the combination of poor eyesight and minor safety hazards can put seniors at risk for falls, broken hips or worse.
It is critically important to keep track of physical symptoms, mental health, and nutrition as they provide warning signs that living alone is no longer safe for an older adult.
When you notice any of these symptoms in your loved one, please give us a call. At Assisting Hands, we understand. Our trained dependable caregivers and personal assistants can help overcome these challenges, and make home an even better place to be. Our services range from companionship, meal preparation, medication reminders, shopping and errands, light housekeeping and laundry, to personal care and help with bathing and dressing. A Care Plan is designed by an RN to specifically address your loved ones’ needs. Our services are available throughout Palm Beach, from a few hours a day or around the clock. You can learn more about us at our website: https://www.assistinghands.com/palmbeach/.