The one sentence that every person who is in the hospital wants to hear is “You can go home”! However, for a senior who lives alone, these words might also be the hardest ones to bear: “What were the discharge instructions?”, “How am I going to get the meds that were prescribed?” “When was it that I needed to make an appointment with the doctor?”
A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found about 20% of patients were readmitted to the hospital within a month of discharge, and about a third were back in the hospital within three months. Unplanned return visits accounted for about 16% of what Medicare paid hospitals. Most of these readmissions are avoidable.
Study by Gerontological Society of America
- People who lived alone had 50% odds of re-admission within 60 days
- People who lacked self-managing skills had 44% odds of early re-admission
How Can Assisting Hands Help
Assisting Hands Home Care can help reduce the risk of re-hospitalization by coordinating your transition from the hospital or rehab facility to your home. Our specially designed post hospitalization care is a one-of-a-kind care package for all seniors who are being discharged from the hospital.
Post Surgery / Post Hospitalization Home Care Services
- Clear communication of discharge orders to patient and family
- Transportation from facility to the home
- Make appointments with physicians and labs or tests within seven days of discharge
- Pick up any prescriptions and explain the use of medications to prevent any errors
- Fax discharge orders and new prescriptions to your Primary Care Physician
- Set up your Mediset and remind you when to take your medications
- Organize delivery of any Durable Medical Equipment
- Coordinate physical, speech and occupational therapists
- Help set up your home to make it a safe environment
- Prepare meals with special attention to dietary instructions
- Help with light housekeeping, laundry and errands
- Fall prevention
- Transportation service to and from doctor’s appointments
- Clean up your refrigerator and buy any groceries you may need
As seniors recover from heart, hernia, hip or knee surgery it’s essential that they follow doctors orders and progress with rehabilitation, although rehab services are not provided getting around, taking medication on time and being on time for appointments are services that are vital to reaching full recovery that are provided by our caregivers.
Our caregivers provide post surgery care for the following conditions
- After hernia surgery
- After heart bypass surgery
- After cataract surgery
- After back surgery
- After brain surgery
- After knee surgery
- After hip surgery
At Assisting Hands Home Care we are committed to the wellbeing and safety of the clients. Our caregivers, supervised by our RN on staff, are trained to ease the challenging transition from hospitalization to coming home.
Don’t delay, CALL (561) 781-5885 TODAY to find out how Assisting Hands® Home Care can ensure a safe transition from hospital to home.