We get a lot of inquiries from people who live in Northern Fairfax County. Sometimes, they’re not sure exactly what questions they should ask when looking for in-home care. The more we know, as a home-care provider, the better the answers we can provide. So we decided to put together this article.
When the time comes, what questions should you ask a home care provider?
If a loved one can no longer live safely at home on their own, you may have already thought about finding home health care services to help. Perhaps they’ve recently returned from the hospital after suffering a heart attack or stroke or suffer from a degenerative disease. Or, maybe you spent a lot of time with your loved one over the holidays and there were obvious signs that they can no longer live at home without assistance.
The next step is finding a trusted, reliable home care provider that has experienced caregivers and a stellar reputation. One-on-one personal care, companionship, specialized assistance, and the peace of mind that your loved one can safely remain in their own home make home care assistance an attractive option. But how do you find the best one for your loved one? There are a variety of factors to consider and you want to make sure you ask the right questions.
The following list of questions will help you gather information about a company’s services and get a deeper feel for the quality of care and customer service. A reputable home care provider should always be willing and able to answer these questions.
- How long have you been in business?
- What is the initial evaluation fee?
- What is the cost for services? Are there any other costs, such as evaluations?
- Can you provide a copy of your liability insurance, business license, and worker compensation?
- Are your caregivers bonded?
- Can you provide references from previous clients?
Caregiver Selection and Training
- What is your caregiver hiring process like?
- What are the qualifications of your caregivers?
- How are caregivers screened and background checked?
- Are caregivers an employee of the agency or contracted through a registry?
- Do you provide training for your caregivers? Do they also participate in ongoing training and education?
- How are care providers monitored and how often?
- How do you handle complaints and requests for a new caregiver? How quickly is a caregiver replaced?
- Is care provider coverage guaranteed?
- Are there specific services your company specializes in or does not provide?
- How do you handle emergencies?
- Is there someone available 24 hours to handle any problems?
- What is the payment process? Do you require a deposit?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- How often do you bill?
- Do you charge different rates for nights, weekends, and holidays?
- If your services are covered by medical insurance, who completes the paperwork?
Assisting Hands is committed to helping you in your journey to find the very best in home care for your loved one. We emphasize exceptional customer service and the finest personalized care, so your loved one can remain safely in their own home. In VA, contact us at 703-556-8983. We also serve Montgomery County MD, call us there at 301-363-2580.