Hiring a direct caregiver often seems appealing because it appears to be the cheaper option. However, many families fail to realize that they become the employer of any caregiver they hire and are responsible for that employee.
Hiring a Home Care Agency vs. Hiring Directly
- A home care agency is bonded, insured, and covers their caregivers under worker’s compensation. Independent or direct hire caregivers do not carry their own worker’s compensation or liability insurance. If an accident or incident occurs at work, the employer (the client) would likely be held responsible, possibly costing them hundreds or thousands of dollars.
- A home care agency offers a replacement or back-up plan if the original caregiver doesn’t show up or calls off. If a direct-hire caregiver cannot make it to work, the client needs to provide a replacement since a home care agency is not involved.
- Independent or direct hire caregivers cannot be bonded, and bonding offers theft protection for the client.
- If using a home care agency, the client will not have to worry about training, disciplinary action, or termination of their caregiver. If hiring directly, the client will be responsible for these tasks because they are that caregiver’s employer.
- A home care agency tests and trains their caregivers and can attest to their skill level and quality. It is important to understand the caregiver’s skillset, especially if the client needs hands-on personal core or has dementia, Alzheimer’s, or limited mobility issues. If hiring directly, the client will be responsible for these tasks.
- By law, the employer (the client) is responsible for filing tax forms, payroll taxes, and verifying that their employee can work legally in the U.S.
At Assisting Hands Home Care, we understand that it is important to use your resources lightly and save money during today’s economy. If you or your loved one needs in-home care, consider the risks of hiring a direct caregiver rather than working with a home care agency. You can reach us at (214) 865-7870 for more information about our non-medical home health care services in Richardson, TX, and the surrounding areas.