Studies have shown that just planning a vacation can be a tremendous relief of stress and give a major boost to mental and emotional health. While people might say that planning is half the fun, actually heading out on that summer vacation with your family is the other half, and the chance to make precious memories together. As a family caregiver, however, you must not think of planning just in terms of where you will go and what you will do when you get there. You must also think about the safety and health of your aging parent even while you are away so that everyone can enjoy this experience together.
One of the most important parts of properly planning for a road trip with your senior is making sure that they have what they might need during the trip to stay safe, comfortable, healthy, and happy throughout the experience. Pack these items in a bag or organizer that is easy for your parent to keep near them and go through during the trip.
Some of the items that your aging parent should pack in the vehicle for a road trip include:
• Layers of clothing. The summertime heat might be oppressive, but your senior can quickly get a chill in an air conditioned vehicle. Encourage them to bring along a sweater or light jacket and a pair of socks so that they can bundle up if needed.
• Pillow and blanket. If your road trip is more than a couple of hours long, your parent might want to take a nap along the way. Bringing along a pillow and blanket enables them to tuck in and get comfortable so that they can get the rest that they want.
• Personal medical needs. If your parent takes any type of medication on a regular basis, including both prescription and over the counter options, make sure that they have them easily accessible. Even if you do not plan to be on the road when they will need to take these, there is always the possibility of a delay and it is better that they know they have what they will need if this happens.
• Food and water. It is easy to get dehydrated when traveling and not thinking about drinking. Getting off-schedule by being on the road when you would usually be eating can lead to hunger pangs and crankiness that are unpleasant for everyone. Pack high-nutrition, nonperishable food and plenty of water so that they can stay comfortable and ward off health issues that can stem from not eating and drinking.
• Entertainment. Particularly if you are on a long trip, there will only be but so many road games that your family will want to play together before everyone will want some quiet time to themselves. Be sure that they pack entertainment options such as books, adult coloring books, music, neat crafts, and mobile movie players are fantastic for keeping them entertained and distracted throughout the hours spent in the car.
Starting elder care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home care services provider can step in to fill any care gaps that might exist in the care that you are able to give them, whether that means coming to their home once or twice a week to help them handle specific tasks such as bathing or grocery shopping, or being with them every day for several hours because you live at a distance. The highly personalized services of an elderly home care services provider help ensure that your senior gets the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need to manage their needs while also helping them to pursue more fulfillment and independence in their daily life as they age in place. When it comes to going on vacation with your family a care provider can make a tremendous difference for you. Whether it is a respite provider who cares for your parent at home while you travel, or a regular provider who comes along with you to care for them, this care provider can help you relax and enjoy your vacation more.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Addison, TX, please contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands of Preston Hollow today at (214) 420-1212.
Latest posts by Robbie (see all)
- News from Assisting Hands Preston Hollow - October 13, 2018
- Home Care provides valuable support for Families in Dallas - October 1, 2018
- Tips for Protecting Your Aging Parent’s Vision as They Age - September 23, 2018