Telemarketing fraud is a serious danger for older adults. Each year fraudulent telemarketers cost senior adults throughout the United States billions of dollars. This is largely due to the fact that companies that utilize fraudulent activities are more likely to target seniors. Fortunately there are ways that your senior and you can work together to reduce the risk that they will suffer serious consequences as a result of telemarketing fraud.
Use these tips to help protect your parent from telemarketing fraud:
• Encourage your parent that it is perfectly acceptable, and safe, for them to hang up on a caller who seems suspicious or who makes them uncomfortable.
• Your parent should never give any type of personal information to a caller unless they are the ones who initiated the call, and they know why that information is being given. Make sure they understand that they will never be asked their PIN.
• If your parent feels pressured or manipulated by the caller, they should not make any agreements, give bank account information, or agree to any contracts.
• If your parent receives a call from a charitable organization, they should request information in the mail so that you can research the organization together and ensure that any money your parent might want to donate actually goes to that organization.
• Your parent should never pay for anything in advance or put down deposits for anything that they did not initiate
• If they are receiving solicitation for a home repair or other service that they are interested in, they should ask for estimates and references and say that they will call back.
• If at any point your parent or you suspect that they have been victimized, or that there is a potential scam, contact law enforcement.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your parent’s quality of life, fill care gaps that might exist in the efforts that you give them, and support a more active and fulfilling lifestyle as they age in place, starting elder care for them might be the ideal solution. With the ability to create a customized schedule that means they will be with your parent when your parent specifically needs them, an elderly home care services provider is a fantastic supplement to the care that you already give your aging parent. Highly personalized services, companionship, and valuable support mean that your parent can continue to live a life that is as independent as possible even when dealing with challenges and limitations. Some of these services can include transportation, assistance with activities of daily living, physical mobility support and assistance, and companionship and activities to boost their mental and emotional health and well-being.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Carrollton, TX, please contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands of Preston Hollow today at (214) 420-1212.
Latest posts by Robbie (see all)
- Another Word From an Amazing Client! - May 31, 2018
- Can You Recognize Some of the Symptoms of Heart Failure? - May 25, 2018
- Home Care provides valuable support for Families in Dallas - May 23, 2018