Each year more than 310,800 hip replacement surgeries are performed on older adults. These surgeries can be extremely beneficial to those seniors who have been suffering from issues such as pain, stiffness, loss of range of motion, and diminished mobility. This type of surgery can reduce pain and stiffness, restore mobility, and improve overall function and quality of life. If your parent will be undergoing such a surgery in the near future, what they do to prepare for this surgery can make a tremendous difference in how your parent gets through this surgery and the benefits that they receive. You can help them through these preparations so that both of you feel more confident moving forward with the surgery.
Some things that you can do to help prepare your parent prepare for a hip replacement surgery include:
• Lose weight. If your parent is carrying a few extra pounds, their doctor might recommend that they lose weight before the surgery. This will not only help to lower the risks of surgery but can make recovery easier and improve the benefits of their surgery. Work with them to find healthy and safe ways to lose weight so that they can maintain it.
• Learn about the procedure. Knowing as much as you can about the surgery can help both you feel more confident about what they are going to face and what they might need throughout their recovery.
• Put care measures into place. Consider the care and support that your elderly parent will need after they undergo hip replacement surgery. Create a care team now that will ensure your parent gets what they need to stay safe and healthy throughout the process. This can include friends, family, and neighbors, as well as a professional care provider.
• Get comfortable with mobility aids. Your parent is likely to use mobility aids after their surgery to help them get around. Borrow these from the doctor or purchase them from a medical supply company so that your parent can try them out and get comfortable using them before their surgery.
If your aging parent has been struggling with challenges or limitations, or has recently undergone a major medical treatment such as a hip replacement surgery, starting senior care for them can be an exceptional boost to their life. A senior home care services provider can be with your elderly loved one on a customized schedule to ensure that they get the care, support, and assistance that they need while allowing you to remain at the forefront of their care. If they are dealing with a particularly challenging issue, a care provider can help your loved one to understand what is expected of them, offer reminders to remain compliant with their medications and treatments, support good lifestyle decisions, and offer companionship and encouragement to help them cope with the issues that they are facing. This can be particularly helpful as your parent prepares for hip replacement surgery and then in their recovery period, enabling them to get the most benefit. As a family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that your loved one is in good hands both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Carrollton, TX, please contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands of Preston Hollow today at (214) 420-1212.
Latest posts by Robbie (see all)
- Can You Recognize Some of the Symptoms of Heart Failure? - May 25, 2018
- Home Care provides valuable support for Families in Dallas - May 23, 2018
- Home Care assistance with Transitional situation - May 15, 2018