One of the most important aspects of awareness when it comes to illnesses that a senior might face is knowing the potential signs and symptoms of that condition. As a family caregiver, knowing these symptoms can help you to detect if your parent might be dealing with a serious health issue, or if they are not responding as well to care and treatment and may need to return to the doctor to discuss further options.
Some of the signs and symptoms of thyroid cancer include:
- A lump in the neck, sometimes with rapid growth
- Swelling in the neck that you cannot attribute to other causes
- Pain located at the front of the neck
- Pain in the neck that may move up into the ears
- Difficulty swallowing that is not related to other conditions or issues
- Difficulty breathing that is not related to other conditions or issues
- Hoarseness in their voice
- Distinct changes in their voice that do not return to normal
- Constant coughing that is not related to allergies, colds, flu, or other health issues
It is important to note that these symptoms can be caused by a wide variety of other factors, including other cancers of the neck and non-cancer related health issues. It is important that as soon as your parent or you notice these symptoms, you get them to the doctor to discuss your concerns and get them on the road toward diagnosis. As with other forms of cancer, early diagnosis is key to the most successful treatment and management.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your parent’s quality of life and help them to achieve and maintain a healthier, safer, and more comfortable lifestyle as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent to fill any care gaps that might exist, support them in healthy lifestyle choices, and encourage them to pursue as much independence, activity, and fulfillment as possible as they age in place.
As a family caregiver it can give you confidence knowing that whether you are able to be with your parent or not, they are in good hands. Whether you live at a distance and are unable to be with them as frequently as you would want to be, or your own schedule and limitations keep you from giving them all of the care and support that they need, the highly personalized services of an elder care provider are designed to ensure your senior has the support and care that they need at all times.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Richardson, Texas, please contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands of Preston Hollow today at (214) 865-7870.
Latest posts by Robbie (see all)
- Home Care Assistance with Transitional Situation - March 1, 2021
- Caring for Yourself as You Care for an Aging Adult with Alzheimer’s Disease - February 22, 2021
- Are You and Your Elderly Loved One Afraid to Talk to Each Other about Her Fall Risk? - February 15, 2021