Caregivers in Goodyear AZ
Being a family caregiver can be one of the most fulfilling roles that you take on in your life. This is a way for you to give back to your parent and to be an active participant in making sure that they are able to live the quality of life that they desire and deserve as they age in place. If you live too far away from your aging parent to be with them on a daily or even weekly basis, however, you might feel as though you are not able to be as effective a caregiver as you would like to be. Fortunately there are steps that you can take to improve your distance caregiving efforts and ensure that you are giving your elderly loved one everything that they need in order to manage their needs and challenges, and support an active, healthy, safe, and comfortable lifestyle throughout their later years.
Use these tips to help you be an effective long-distance caregiver for your aging parent:
• Schedule daily calls. Staying in touch with your elderly loved one is going to be one of the most important steps in keeping up with their care needs. By having daily calls with your loved one you are able to gauge their current condition and how well any care or management efforts that have been put into place are working. This is also a way to help them to feel connected to you so that they are at less risk of loneliness and isolation, which can be detrimental to their mental and emotional health.
• Plan visits. Even if they cannot be frequent and you must wait for a few weeks or even months, make a plan to visit your loved one. Knowing that you are going to see them will help you to feel more confident and will also give your senior something to look forward to, which can reduce stress and anxiety, and improve their overall mental health and well-being.
• Arrange distance management of some needs. The internet can be a tremendous resource for a distance caregiver. If you are to manage some of their finances, consider switching their bills to paperless versions so that they will go to you rather than to them. This allows you to keep up with them and pay them regularly. You can also use the internet to purchase groceries for your loved one so that they are delivered directly to them, reducing how frequently they need to go the store.
• Consider home care. Particularly if you are not able to get to them more than every few weeks or months, or if your parent has more care needs than you feel comfortable with them handling on their own, starting care for them might be the ideal solution for getting them the care that they need even when you are not able to be with them. This care provider can be a supplement to the care that you are able to give the from a distance and be a source of information for you so that you can make meaningful changes to your care as needed.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Goodyear, AZ, contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at (480) 725-7002.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Preparing Family for a Thanksgiving Visit with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - November 15, 2016
- What Information Do You Need from Your Loved One’s Doctor about Exercise? - November 9, 2016
- Should You Consider Elder Care if Your Parent Moves in With You? - November 2, 2016