Home Care in Rio Verde AZ
Helping your aging loved ones keep up with their daily hygiene can be one of the greatest challenges that you face during your home care journey with them. Whether they are able to take a bath or shower primarily on their own, or need direct and hands-on assistance from you or an in home health care services provider, bathing or showering can be a difficult prospect for elderly adults coping with mobility, balance, or other physical or cognitive limitations. Having the right equipment accessible is an effective way for you to not only make the process of keeping clean easier and less stressful for your aging parents, their in home health care services provider, or you, but they can also help you to encourage a higher level of independence for your parents by giving them greater control during the bathing experience.
One piece of equipment that can make a tremendous difference in the bath or shower time experience for your aging parents is a comfortable shower chair. Many seniors are not able to safely and effectively lower themselves all the way down into a bath tub and then stand back up, or may not be able to stand for as long as it would take to take a shower. Others may cope with mobility or balance issues that make it difficult or dangerous for them to perform the lifting, reaching, and bending movements necessary to shower thoroughly. In these instances, having a chair or bench provides a stable, secure place for them to sit so that they can go through the process of getting clean without the risk of falling.
Many shower and bath benches and chairs are extremely uncomfortable, which can contribute to anxiety and lack of cooperation with your seniors when it comes time to get clean. Choosing a comfortable version of this piece of equipment that includes meaningful features can transform bath or shower time into something that your parents do not dread, and may even be something that they look forward to.
Comfortable shower chairs, such as those from Comfort Zones and other companies, are designed with a variety of features that help your parents get through the bathing experience safely, comfortably, and with as much independence as possible. Some of these features include:
• Softer material. Traditional bath and shower chairs or benches are often made out of hard plastic. This is to make them water resistant and easier to clean. The material, however, can be uncomfortable or even painful to sit on. Look for chairs made with supportive mesh that is much softer and has some give so that sitting in it is a more relaxing, comfortable experience. This can reduce anxiety and reluctance related to bathing and even make your parents excited about getting in the shower.
• Security straps. Some seniors cope with mobility issues that would make it difficult for them to be able to sit in a chair securely. Integrated straps offer safety and support, allowing the senior to sit and bathe more independently.
• Reclining ability. A shower chair that reclines can make the process of washing a senior’s hair far easier and less stressful. The reclining chair offers support so that the senior can simply relax while you or a home care provider washes her hair, rather than leaning back and feeling frightened or insecure.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Rio Verde, AZ, contact the caring staff at Assisting Hands Home Care at (480) 725-7002.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Preparing Family for a Thanksgiving Visit with a Senior with Alzheimer’s Disease - November 15, 2016
- What Information Do You Need from Your Loved One’s Doctor about Exercise? - November 9, 2016
- Should You Consider Elder Care if Your Parent Moves in With You? - November 2, 2016