Home Care in Seminole FL
As a family caregiver you are responsible not just for your aging parent’s physical health, but also their well-being. This means looking beyond their physical needs, challenges, and limitations to what you can do to help them to maintain a higher degree of mental and emotional health and well-being. October is Emotional Wellness Month. This is the ideal opportunity for you to evaluate your aging parent’s lifestyle and your caregiver efforts to determine if there are ways that you can improve their emotional wellness and boost their overall health and well-being as they age in place.
Try these tips for enhancing your parent’s life during Emotional Wellness Month:
• Help them to accept their feelings. One of the primary tenets of emotional wellness is the ability to accept feelings and emotions. This can be difficult for many people and it is important that you work with your parent to get in touch with their feelings so that they can work through them and use them effectively.
• Help them to manage stress. Stress is something that virtually everyone experiences, and can even be a beneficial way to help your parent to manage challenges and demands that come up in their lives. Excessive stress, however, can be devastating for both emotional and physical health. Help your parent to accept that they are suffering from stress and find ways to alleviate that stress effectively.
• Encourage healthy goal-setting. Setting goals and priorities and taking steps to make sure that those are managed properly is an important part of maintaining emotional wellness. Encourage your parent to set healthy goals and balance their priorities. They can then work toward accomplishing those goals and keeping their priorities in order.
• Support positive thinking. Optimism and positive thinking might be challenging when you are facing the demands of life, but it is important to encourage your parent to stay as positive and optimistic as they can. This does not mean ignoring emotions or pretending that there is nothing going on in life. It simply means approaching the difficulties of life with as positive a spin as possible to help them to get through these issues in as healthy a way as possible. If your parent is struggling with something, encourage them to see it with as much positivity as they can and try to handle it in a way that will help them get through it healthily, safely, and comfortably.
Starting senior care for your elderly parent is a fantastic way to help them pursue better emotional wellness throughout their later years. Having a senior home care services provider in the home with your aging parent is a wonderful way to ensure that they get the care, support, encouragement, and assistance that they need to keep them feeling safe, healthy, comfortable, and engaged as they age in place. When it comes to your parent’s need for emotional wellness, this care provider can give your parent the support and companionship that they need to accept their emotions, approach their emotional needs honestly, and take steps to keep their mental and emotional health as high as possible.
If You Or An Aging Loved One Are Considering Hiring In-Home Care in Seminole, FL, Please Contact The Caring Staff At Assisting Hands Home Care Today! 727-748-4211.
Latest posts by Becky Moultrie (see all)
- Four Steps to Convince Your Parent to Let You Help With Household Management - June 19, 2018
- June is Audiobook Appreciation Month: 5 Great Audiobooks for Seniors - June 13, 2018
- Why Bother with a Bedtime Routine for Yourself? - June 5, 2018