It can be a difficult process to decide to hire a caregiver for an elderly relative. It is even harder to find a fit that everybody in the family is comfortable with. This is true in the case of long-term and short-term home care services. Generally speaking, you have two options – utilize a home care agency or hire an individual caregiver directly. Here at Assisting Hands Serving Miami Beach, FL, we want you to find the best fit for your loved one. This is why we have prepared the following outline of what to expect in either case for you to consider.
Hiring a Direct Caregiver
Caregivers are responsible for quite a few important tasks, such as preparing meals, driving patients to and from the doctor’s office, housekeeping, and others. When you hire an individual home care provider, you essentially become the employer. This means that you are responsible for the following:
- Hiring and firing the caregiver
- Applicable payroll taxes
- Replacement duties (for example, in the event your caregiver is sick)
While these responsibilities can be a huge headache, some people prefer hiring an individual because they know or trust them. Other times, family members simply do not want to work with an agency, or do not fully understand how agencies work. We hope to clear up any confusion you may have.
Utilizing a Home Health Care Agency
Assisting Hands Serving Miami Beach, FL, is a non-medical, elder care agency, which is what we will describe in this section. There are quite a few benefits to using an agency over an individual, which include the following:
- Licensed Care: Many home care agencies, such as us, are licensed by the state to provide these services, meaning our caregivers are bonded and insured. All of our staff is trained in CPR and first aid, as well. Essentially, you will not need to wonder about the qualifications of your caregiver.
- Access to Multiple Caregivers: If a specific individual within our agency providing care becomes sick, is not what you are looking for, or needs to be more knowledgeable about a certain type of care, you have more flexibility working with an agency. We understand the intimate nature and importance of caregiving, and are happy to provide a suitable substitute.
- Financial Flexibility: Affordability is a major factor to consider when finding a home care provider (this is especially true in long-term situations). Depending on your state, you may be able to cover caregiver costs with health insurance when working with an agency. We recommend calling your insurance provider to find out if you qualify.
While we hope you choose Assisting Hands Serving Miami Beach, FL, as the home health agency to manage your home care needs, please feel free to make use of our expertise of the industry, regardless. Our representatives are available at (305) 425-1835, and are happy to answer your questions.