Using A Home Care Agency Vs. Hiring Directly
Remaining at home with the assistance of a caregiver is the preferred living arrangement for many seniors and others who need some help but wish to retain their independence.
There are three main options for home health care: family caregivers, independent caregivers, and caregivers from an agency. Many families choose to have a family member act as the caregiver and while there are some advantages, the caregiving duties can take a toll on that family member’s personal life.
Hiring an independent caregiver saves money compared to using an agency, but the families are fully responsible as the employer of this caregiver. When families use a home care agency, they can expect to get a caregiver who is employed, screened, and trained by the agency. The following are the benefits of using a home care agency like Assisting Hands Schaumburg:
- Caregivers from a home care agency are licensed, bonded, and insured through their employer. They may also receive worker’s compensation from the agency. An independent caregiver does not get worker’s compensation or insurance through an employer, making you responsible for any accidents that occur.
- If a caregiver cannot make it one day, a home care agency will send another caregiver. If an independent caregiver calls off for a day, you need to find a replacement yourself.
- Home care agencies train and discipline their caregivers. If you hire an independent caregiver, you are responsible for the training and disciplinary action including termination.
- You must evaluate the skill level of an independent caregiver while a home care agency hires and recommends their caregivers based on their specific skills.
- If you hire an independent caregiver, you are legally responsible for verifying their work status in the U.S. and filing the proper taxes for paying the caregiver.
The team at Assisting Hands understands that in today’s tight economic times, saving money and using resources wisely is more important than ever. However, the client should carefully consider the risks of hiring a caregiver directly instead of working with a home care agency.
If you have a family member that could benefit from home health care services in the Schaumburg, IL area, contact Assisting Hands Schaumburg. We provide a variety of in-home care services and you can rest assured that our caregivers will provide the right level of care and compassion for your loved one. Give us a call at (224) 444 6422 to learn more about our available home care services in Schaumburg, IL and the surrounding suburbs.