It’s that time of year again! If you are planning to do some holiday shopping over Thanksgiving weekend, here are some ideas for you to consider. We pulled some of the top-rated gifts from Amazon’s gifts for seniors – so you can check these out online or keep an eye out for something similar while you are out on Black Friday! All these gifts are less than $30, so they’re also kind to your pocketbook!
- “Warm Hugs” Positive Energy Healing Thoughts Gift Throw Blanket – Available in many colors, this top-rated (1,600 5-star reviews) is covered with supportive messages like: “Warm Hug, Positive Thoughts, Strength, Harmony, Peace, Love, Hope, Compassion, Serenity, Joy, Fun, Comfort, Spirit, Positive Energy, Resilience.” Made from Sherpa microfiber, this is a toasty warm gift for less than $30.
- Keep your loved one’s memory sharp while remembering decades past. Brain Games® Picture Puzzles: Remember When? takes you on a trip back to the twentieth century as you put your powers of observation to the test. Two nostalgic pictures that seemingly are identical are presented together, but subtle changes have been made to one of the pictures, which feature photos from decades past such as Route 66 road stop, 1970s protest parade, a soda shop, 1940s family room, Sesame Street, a roller skating rink, and more. Under $10, a great gift from the grandkids.
- There are several types of window bird feeders available that can bring a little bit of nature right up close. Typically these have suction cups that attach to the outside of the window, bringing the birds within easy view. And unless the squirrels are scaling your windows, this type of bird-feeder is nearly squirrel-proof (not that we’d put anything past them…). A great gift for seniors, especially for seniors with cats, who will also enjoy the view!
- An emergency preparedness flashlight is a practical gift that will be appreciated. This flashlight is kept plugged in so it is always charged, and as soon as it senses the power has been cut off, the light turns on, making it easy to locate. A nice safety item to have for these long winter nights. These can be purchased in multi-packs so they can be placed all over the house.
- Say good-bye to dull gray, black and beige compression socks. Colorful sets of these are available in fun designs that spice up your loved one’s day and make them feel young again. Useful for those who need them for medical purposes but also great to relieve leg pain for those who love to exercise.
- A great idea for a gift from the grandkids: Dr. Seuss’s You’re Only Old Once: A Book for Obsolete Children follows the story of an elderly patient who is examined, poked, and prodded at the “Golden Years Clinic on Century Square for Spleen Readjustment and Muffler Repair.” Great fun for those who have a sense of humor about growing older!
- Add some luxury to bath time with a shower head/handheld combo with multiple settings and waterfall options. Many companies make these combinations, check out your local hardware store or take a look online at AquaStorm by HotelSpa, with 30 settings and high-pressure or water-saving economy mode. Look for easy tool-free connection when purchasing this gift that will be appreciated every day.
- Exercise for Seniors DVD and resistance band shows exercises both standing and seated. Helps even those with limited mobility gain core strength with gentle resistance training. Includes balance workouts to improve stability. The resistance band included is longer and lighter-weight, making it perfect for seniors who are just getting started.
Of course, spending time together is the greatest gift you can give this holiday season. It’s also an important time to check in and make sure everything is going well with your senior loved ones at home. For some tips on what to look for, read last week’s article “Holidays – A Chance to Assess. “ If you are concerned that your loved one is not getting enough companionship, or you discover some practical needs, get in touch with us today for a home care assessment at Assisting Hands serving Columbus, OH.