At Assisting Hands Home Care, we provide in-home care services for veterans and their spouses in Matteson, Frankfort, Mokena IL and surrounding areas (Click to See All Service Areas). Veterans and their spouses who are eligible for VA benefits can help cover the cost of our Veteran home care and respite care services with these benefits.
Approximately two-thirds of all veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are senior citizens who have participated in various conflicts going back to World War II. If you are a veteran or the spouse of a veteran and over the age of 65, you may be eligible for benefits from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. The Department of Veteran’s Affairs offers these benefits to veterans and their spouses to help them pay for care, including home care, and you must apply with the Department to receive your benefits. If you do receive VA benefits, these benefits can help cover the cost of our Veteran home care services at Assisting Hands Home Care.
Assisting Hands Home Care provides non-medical Veteran home health care for veterans and their spouses who are eligible for VA benefits in Matteson, Frankfort, Mokena IL and surrounding areas. Veterans can expect quality home care from our licensed caregivers who will take the time to understand your care needs and treat you with compassion and respect. We will work with veterans and their families to assess their care needs and determine how the cost of home care can be covered by your VA benefits.
VA Pension Benefits
Veterans and their spouses need to apply for and receive a VA pension from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs before they can put this towards the cost of home care. Veterans generally have to meet the following criteria to be eligible for VA benefits:
- All applicants, veterans and spouses, must be 65 years old or older
- Veterans must have served at least on day during a time of war
- Surviving spouses must have been married to the veteran at their time of death
- Veterans must have a retirement account worth less than $123,600
- Veterans must have a combined monthly income lower than $3000 for married couples, $2600 for single veterans, and $2000 for surviving spouses
Veterans applying for VA benefits should be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Have you ever received or applied for benefits related to wounds suffered during your military service?
- Do you need help with activities of daily living (ADLs)?
- Do you plan to live at home for the next year? If you do not currently live at home, do you have a date that you will be moving back home?
Veterans and their spouses who are eligible for VA benefits can put these benefits towards the following VA homemaker and home health aid care services from Assisting Hands Home Care:
VA Homemaker/ Home Health Aid (HHA) Program
Our VA homemaker and home health aid program covers 12 hours of home care services per week for eligible veterans and veteran spouses. Those who are eligible must first undergo an evaluation from a mixed discipline panel for geriatric extended care (GEC) that includes a registered nurse (RN), social worker (SW), and a medical doctor (MD).
Veterans must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Significant cognitive impairment
- Dependency for 3 or more activities of daily living (ADLs)
Veteran Respite Care
For veterans and spouses who receive care from a family member, we can provide Veteran respite care services that are covered by VA benefits. With our VA respite care services, the family caregiver can take some time off while our caregivers take over providing care. Veterans must complete the interdisciplinary assessment for geriatric extended care to receive care through this program and meet one of the following criteria:
- Need assistance for 3 or more ADLs
- Significant cognitive impairment
Veteran Home Care Services from Assisting Hands
If you are a veteran or spouse of a veteran and you are eligible for a VA pension, contact Assisting Hands Home Care to learn more about how your VA benefits can be applied to our Veteran home care programs. We will start with a free in-home assessment in which we will evaluate your care needs and your VA benefits to see how they can be applied to your home care.
You can reach us at (708) 880-7711 for more about our Veteran home care services in Matteson, Frankfort, Mokena IL and surrounding areas.