Seniors affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia can experience an improvement in their quality of life by staying in their own homes with the help of home care services. Our caregivers have the experience and training needed to provide memory care services for the individuals suffering from these conditions. We can also slow the effects of memory loss by keeping them engaged in mental exercises, and we can counteract mood swings and agitation through positive reinforcement.
Give us a call at (630) 313-6160 for more information about our dementia home care services.
Memory Care in Village Park, IL and the Surrounding Areas in DuPage County
For professional Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care services in Villa Park, IL, call Assisting Hands Home Care at (630) 313-6160.
The term “dementia” describes a series of symptoms that involve the loss of cognitive abilities and memory. There are around 5.5 million Americans over the age of 65 who currently suffer from some form of dementia, and 70% are affected by Alzheimer’s specifically, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. As a result, Alzheimer’s is the most common form of dementia that leads to the death of seniors in the U.S.
Including Alzheimer’s, all forms of dementia are degenerative conditions that affect memory and cognitive functions over time. Patients in the early stages will first experience minor loss of memory but will not recognize family members or loved ones over time, losing their general awareness. As these conditions progress, these patients will not be able to take care of themselves. Assisting Hands Home Care can provide the needed in-home care services for your loved ones in Villa Park, IL and the surrounding areas, treating them with compassion and respect.
Signs of Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Seniors can experience memory loss that may not be indicative of Alzheimer’s or dementia, making it hard to identify in the early stages. But it’s important to identify their symptoms in the early stages, especially if there’s a family history of these conditions. This way you can get them the proper in-home care they need to help them manage their symptoms.
All of the following are common symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia:
- Forgetfulness: Alzheimer’s and dementia patients will first experience short-term forgetfulness. This may be trivial at first, such as forgetting where they put their jacket, but they will soon not be able to recognize their loved ones.
- Wandering: Patients of dementia often wander because they are in a confused state. They will look for things, people, or wonder where they are.
- Agitation: These diseases can lead to mood swings and agitation as a result of being frustrated from cognitive disabilities.
- Incontinence: This occurs in the later stages as individual lose control of their bodies, causing a number of additional issues.
Dementia Home Care for Seniors
It can be difficult to care for loved ones affected by Alzheimer’s or dementia because they will often need specialized care on a regular basis. Our dementia caregivers are trained and experienced to provide compassionate memory care services for these individuals.
We can help guide your loved one through their home, keeping them safe from falls as they wander. We can also respond with positive reinforcement if they experience mood swings and agitation outbursts. They can also slow the effects of memory loss by engaging them in mentally stimulating activities.
Our in-home memory care services can include the following for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients:
- Wandering: If your loved ones wander in a state of confusion, our caregivers can keep them safe by guiding them through the home and reducing the risk of falling.
- Personal Care: We can assist with activities of daily living such as bathing, using the restroom, getting dressed, and incontinence care.
- Companionship: Alzheimer’s and dementia patients can greatly benefit from social companionship. We will build a personal relationship with them, keeping them engaged in their hobbies and fun conversations while slowing the effects of memory loss.
- Medication Reminders: We will ensure that your senior loved ones take their medication on time as needed.
- Meal Preparation: Especially in the later stages, those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia will be unable to prepare their own meals. We can make sure they get the nutrition they need through complete meal preparation that follows their dietary restrictions.
Call Assisting Hands for a Complimentary In-Home Care Assessment
When contacting Assisting Hands for memory care services at home, we will send a professional to your loved one’s home for a free consultation. During this time, we will discuss their needs and conduct a safety evaluation of the home. We will then develop an effective home care plan based on their needs. It can also be adjusted as the needs of the patient change as well.
Contact Assisting Hands Home Care at (630) 313-6160 if you have a loved one with Alzheimer’s or dementia who needs home care services in Villa Park, IL or the surrounding areas in DuPage county. Our caregivers are experienced and trained to ensure they get the care they need to live comfortably in their home.