With the ever-increasing demand for home care services, the demand for home health aides also continues to rise. In fact, there is a shortage of caregivers for the amount of seniors seeking to age in place. Sometimes family members are noble and have the resources to step in as a family caregiver, however, additional care hours or needed or the family does not have an available caregiver.
As families and facilities begin to search for caregivers, they will come across two options: hiring a private caregiver or working with a home care agency. While they have similar responsibilities, they also have differences of which you will want to know to make an informed decision.
Assisting Hands Home Care is available in Winnetka, IL to provide elderly citizens and adults with disabilities with professional home care services. We proudly serve Winnetka, Glenview, Wilmette, Evanston, IL and the surrounding areas of Cook County.
When working with a private caregiver, you will find that the costs are about 20-30% less than working with an agency. This is because the private caregiver does not carry all of the benefits of working with the agency. But if the family is willing to take on the responsibility of putting forth additional work to finding trustworthy, reliable caregiver, this route may be the best option.
Be mindful of the following responsibilities when working with a private caregiver:
- Training, hiring, and screening the caregiver
- Taking disciplinary action and even terminating the caregiver
- Handling taxes and payroll
- Finding a replacement caregiver if they can’t make it to their shift
Home Care Agency
When working with a home care agency, you will find the opposite situation from the one mentioned above. While the costs of hiring a home care agency are higher, the agency offers more benefits. A home health agency like Assisting Hands Home Care in Winnetka will hire, screen, and screen their caregivers for our clients’ peace of mind.
Check out these additional benefits provided by home care agencies:
- If the caregiver is not able to show up to the scheduled shift, the home care agency will find a replacement to prevent families from searching for a private caregiver.
- The home care agency will handle the payroll, taxes, and employment verification of each caregiver.
- Home care agencies offer training for caregivers working with patients with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, limited mobility, and other conditions that require additional skills.
- A home care agency ensures that each caregiver is insured and bonded with the company for families peace of mind. This will protect against theft from the patient and any injuries incurred by the caregiver. Caregivers are also eligible for worker’s compensation through the agency while a private caregiver has neither, requiring the family to pay for any damages.
Assisting Hands Home Care Agency
Assisting Hands Home Care is licensed through the Illinois Department of Public Health. Many wonder about the difference between hiring an agency or hiring someone directly. Hiring with an agency is the legal way to hire a caregiver and provides you with added protections and insurance.
The added value of a home care agency include the following:
- Illinois Department of Public Health Licensing
- Complies with IDPH guidelines regarding caregiver training, intake procedures, supervision, scope of care, etc.
- Caregivers are Legal Employees
- At Assisting Hands all caregiver are our employees. We cover appropriate employment taxes & make sure we comply with laws regarding overtime, benefits, etc.
- Assisting Hands is responsible for holding liability and workers’ compensation insurance. Although caregivers work in your home, we are responsible for the work they do.
- Professional Coordination Team
- All of our staff are Certified Dementia Practitioners.
- Expertise in hiring and match caregivers with client needs
- Monitor caregiver arrival, departure, and care notes
- Quarterly visits to assure quality of care
- Easy billing and printed invoices to submit for tax purposes
- Concierge Service
- Changes are common in home care. Our care team can adjust to changes seamlessly. Your loved one may require more care after a hospitalization or less care on their road to recovery. Our Assisting Hands team can ensure that the management is off your plate and in our hands. Think of us as your concierge for home care services.
If available, family caregivers can be a great relief in terms of saving money while caring for the patient. While this is a noble deed on behalf of the caregiver and provides great benefits for the loved one, such as familiarity and comfort when receiving care from a loved one, there are also disadvantages.
Family caregivers will often become stressed and make sacrifices to their social and personal lives due to the high demands of the job. This can also be detrimental to their mental and physical health. To prevent these issues from happening, families will often choose respite care services, in which a caregiver will share the responsibilities of caring for the loved one to create a healthy balance.
Working with Assisting Hands Home Care
Private caregivers and home care agencies both have their advantages and disadvantages, but with Assisting Hands Home Care, you can be absolutely sure that the caregiver providing services for your loved one is safe in that they are trustworthy, insured, and bonded with the company. Our in-home care services proudly cater to senior citizens and adults with disabilities in Winnetka, Wilmette, Glenview, Evanston, and the surrounding areas of Cook County.
Get a Free Consultation
To schedule a free consultation with one of our staff for in-home care services, please contact Assisting Hands Home Care at (847) 737-9991.