Assisting Hands Home Care provides professional Alzheimer’s, dementia, and memory care services for seniors living in Mesa, AZ and the surrounding areas who struggle with all forms of dementia. Our caregivers are trained to care for individuals with these conditions to keep them safe and independent in their own homes.
There are over 5 million seniors living in the U.S. who struggle with Alzheimer’s and dementia every day. These diseases are known to start with mild symptoms, but progress over time, impairing cognitive abilities. It’s in these situations that the elderly individual will need home care to live safely and comfortably at home.
Memory Care Services in Mesa, AZ
For professional Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care services in Mesa, AZ, call Assisting Hands Home Care at (602) 535-5440.
For seniors with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia, it’s best for them to receive care in their own home because it’s their environment and what is familiar to them. Staying at home can help temper mood swings as well as outbursts of agitation that are common with these conditions.
Families can experience difficulties caring for their senior relatives with these conditions, especially in their later stages. But working with a home care agency that is specially trained to care for individuals with these conditions can ease the stress for everyone.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia Symptoms
Alzheimer’s disease and dementia are not the same. Dementia is a term used for all conditions that affect one’s cognitive ability. Alzheimer’s disease is a specific type of dementia that accounts for 60 – 80% of all cases.
All forms of dementia, including Alzheimer’s, are degenerative diseases that gradually affect one’s cognitive ability over time. An affected senior can first experience short-term memory loss but may not even recognize family members or friends in the later stages.
If you identify any of these symptoms of Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia in your loved one’s behavior, it’s important to respond with compassion and care; getting your loved ones the care they need as soon as possible can improve their quality of life.
Here are some symptoms to look out for with Alzheimer’s and dementia:
- Wandering: This is a common symptom for dementia and Alzheimer’s patients as they get up thinking they need something and forget what they were doing in the middle of going somewhere. They may also be trying to look for someone or figure out where they are.
- Agitation: Outbursts and mood swings are common as the affected individual may feel frustrated by their limitations.
- Forgetfulness: Forgetting small things is a common symptom of dementia in its early stages. This is also a common effect of aging, so it can be difficult to distinguish the two. One can usually identify the dementia if it’s becoming more frequent.
- Incontinence: Something that happens during the later stages of Alzheimer’s and dementia, the loved one will begin to lose control of their bodies.
(See the Complete List of Services)
When it comes to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, our caregivers are specially trained to recognize these symptoms and provide the proper care needed. Our caregivers can counteract agitation and mood swings with positive reinforcement, helping them to feel safe and secure in their home.
Visit the websites of Arizona Department of Economic Security – Aging and Adult Services and Alzheimer’s Association® for more information and local resources in Arizona.
Assisting Hands Caregivers
When working with Assisting Hands Home Care, we will meet with you and your loved one to understand their needs and create a customized care plan designed to meet their needs. This plan will also include personal care and assistance to allow them to stay in the comfortable environment of their own home.
Our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services can include the following:
- Medication Reminders: We will make sure that your loved one takes their medication on time.
- Personal Care: Those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia are not able to take care of self-care tasks themselves. Our caregivers can assist with these tasks, including toileting, bathing, using the restroom, and getting dressed.
- Wandering: It’s not uncommon for affected individuals to wander, but our caregivers can make sure they are safe when they do. Our caregivers will clear the path of any tripping hazards and help them to move safely throughout the home.
- Companionship: It’s important to be a friend or companion for individuals affected by Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. Our caregivers will converse and engage them in fun activities to slow the effects of memory loss.
Call Us for a Free Consultation
Caring for individuals affected by Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia is very important but can’t always be accomplished by family caregivers. That’s where Assisting Hands Home Care can help. Our caregivers are trained to respond to the common symptoms of dementia and engage them in memory care activities to slow the effects of memory loss.
We can be reached at (602) 535-5440 for professional memory care services in Mesa, AZ and the surrounding areas of Pinal and Maricopa Counties.