There are more than 5 million people over the age of 65 in the U.S. that are living with Alzheimer’s disease or some form of dementia. Dementia in all its forms is a debilitating disease and senior citizens suffering from dementia require specialized care to help them live safely.
When it comes to caring for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, allowing them to live and receive care in their home is usually the best option. Caring for them at home will keep them in a familiar environment which will help reduce anxiety and agitation. However, it can be difficult for families to take care of relatives affected by Alzheimer’s or dementia themselves.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Services in Lisle
Assisting Hands Home Care provides Alzheimer’s and dementia care services for those affected in Lisle, IL. Our professional caregivers are trained to deal with issues like agitation and confusion that are common among those suffering from Alzheimer’s and various forms of dementia.
We will also ensure that they receive the care they need to be safe and comfortable in their own home. Our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services can be covered by long term care insurance.
Recognizing the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Alzheimer’s disease and dementia develop gradually over time. Recognizing the early symptoms in your loved ones can help you plan and manage their care more effectively. The following are the most common symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia:
- Forgetfulness: Short term memory is the first to be affected in the development of dementia or Alzheimer’s. Those affected may forget where they left something or forget a conversation they had earlier that day. As the disease progresses, they may forget to take basic care of themselves and even have trouble recognizing family members.
- Wandering: Those affected by Alzheimer’s or dementia tend to wander aimlessly which stems from a sense of confusion. They may forget were they are or wander to look for a person or thing that may or may not exist.
- Incontinence: Incontinence issues appear in the later stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia as those affected lose control over their bodies.
- Agitation: Alzheimer’s and dementia patients are frequently agitated because they may realize their limitations.
Our caregivers at Assisting Hands Home Care in Lisle IL are trained to provide care for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients and respond to the most common symptoms. We will help you keep the home of your loved one safe to limit the danger if they start to wander. Our caregivers will also respond to agitation with positive reinforcement and we can assist those who need help with personal care and incontinence.
In Home Memory Care Services
With our in home memory care services, our goal is to provide a safe environment to reduce the risks associated with common symptoms as well as the progression of memory loss. We will work with you to create a personalized care plan for your loved ones and our caregiver will develop a relationship with them to engage on a personal level.
Our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services may consist of the following:
- Companionship: Engaging with those affected by dementia or Alzheimer’s disease can help slow down their memory loss and earn their trust. Our caregivers will learn about their personal history and favorite hobbies and engage them in conversations and activities for mental stimulation. This type of socialization can also help stabilize their mood if they become agitated or anxious.
- Meal Preparation: Those affected by Alzheimer’s or dementia may forget to eat regular meals or be incapable of making meals themselves. Our caregivers will prepare meals for your loved ones to ensure that they eat regularly and get the nutrition they need.
- Personal Care: Personal care activities such as bathing, dressing, and using the restroom become more difficult for those affected by Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. We will assist your loved ones with these personal care activities to ensure that they are bathed and dressed each day. We can also help those who need incontinence care.
- Wandering: Wandering may be inevitable among those affected by Alzheimer’s disease, but our caregivers will ensure that they stay safe when wandering. Our caregivers will be right there to keep your loved ones indoors and remove obstacles around the home that may cause a fall.
- Medication Reminders: Failure to adhere to medication instructions is a major reason that senior citizens end up in the hospital. Our caregivers will make sure your loved ones always take the right medication at the right time.
If you have a family member that is affected by Alzheimer’s or dementia in Lisle, IL, talk to our professionals at Assisting Hands Home Carre about our Alzheimer’s and dementia home care services. Our caregivers are highly trained to provide specialized care for those with degenerative mental diseases and we will work with you to form a custom care plan. We accept long term care insurance to help cover the cost of these care services. You can reach Assisting Hands Home Care at (630) 352-3656 to learn more about our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services.
- In Home Dementia Care in Glen Ellyn, IL
- In Home Dementia Care in Naperville, IL
- In Home Dementia Care in Westmont, IL
- In Home Dementia Care in Wheaton, IL
- In Home Dementia Care in Woodridge, IL
- See All Served Areas