As more senior citizens are choosing to age in place, their families often step in to help provide the care that they need to do this safely. However, many families may reach a point where they need to bring in outside help to provide the care needed for their senior relatives to remain in their homes. Having a family member act as a caregiver is admirable, but it is a demanding job that can affect the health and well-being of the family caregiver. Whether your elderly loved ones need short-term or long-term care in their homes, you have two main options; hiring an independent caregiver or working with a home care agency like Assisting Hands Home Care – Chicago. This guide compares these two options so you can choose the best option for your loved ones in Naperville, IL.
Working with an Independent Caregiver
Many families choose to hire an independent caregiver directly. While this option is generally less expensive than working with a home care agency, it puts more responsibility on your family because you are technically the caregiver’s employer. When working with a direct caregiver, you are ultimately responsible for the following:
- Hiring the caregiver
- Disciplinary action including termination
- Payroll including applicable taxes
- Finding a replacement if your caregiver misses a day
Your family will also have to train an independent caregiver to provide the care and assistance your loved ones need. Hiring an independent caregiver is best if your family can find a caregiver that you know or trust to effectively handle the caregiving duties. You are also taking somewhat of a risk because independent caregivers may not be licensed or insured.
Working with a Home Care Agency
Home care agencies like Assisting Hands Home Care – Chicago have a full staff of carefully screened caregivers who are licensed, bonded, and insured. This option generally costs more than an independent caregiver, but there are several important benefits:
- Licensed Caregivers: When you work with a home care agency, you are guaranteed a caregiver who is licensed and trained by the agency. These caregivers are also bonded and insured so you are protected if a caregiver gets hurt in your home or if they engage in illegal activities like theft.
- Multiple Caregivers Available: Home care agencies do their best to assign a caregiver who can best cover the needs of your loved ones. If a caregiver is not working out, the agency can assign another caregiver with the personality or expertise that will better suit your loved ones. A home care agency can also send a replacement caregiver if your main caregiver is sick or goes on vacation.
- Financial Flexibility: As already mentioned, working with a home care agency tends to cost more than working with an independent caregiver. However, there are options to help pay for care from a home care agency such as health insurance, Medicaid, VA benefits, and others.
Licensed Senior Care in Naperville, IL
When it comes time to hire outside help to provide care for your elderly relatives, carefully consider your options and talk to your loved ones who will receive the care before making a decision. If you are interested in working with a home care agency to provide care for your loved ones in Naperville, IL, contact Assisting Hands Home Care – Chicago. Our skilled, compassionate caregivers are ready to provide a range of care services from personal care and grooming to meal preparation, light housekeeping, and errands and transportation services. Give us a call at (630) 352-3656 for more information about how Assisting Hands Home Care – Chicago can provide care and companionship for your elderly relatives.