Caring for family members with dementia can be challenging, but there are many ways you can reach out for practical help and emotional support. Cincinnati has many resources available for seniors with dementia, here are a few our local families may find helpful:
- The Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cincinnati offers a number of support groups and educational programs in and around Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Visit https://www.alz.org/events and enter your zip code to find support near you.
- Jewish Family Service of Cincinnati is a Music & Memory certified organization. This special program is free to all participants. Music has been shown to reduce depression, restore identity and memories, and improve mood and behavior. https://www.jfscinti.org/music-and-memory/
- The Scripps Gerontology Center at Miami University is the headquarters of OMA – Opening Minds through Art. People with dementia are paired with volunteers who are trained to rely on imagination instead of memory and focus on the person’s remaining strengths. There are OMA sites all over Ohio, find a list here: https://www.scrippsoma.org/oma-sites/
- Episcopal Retirement Services offers the Deupree Meals on Wheels program, delivering hot or frozen nutritious meals and a visit from a volunteer up to four times per week. Find out more at https://www.episcopalretirement.com/deupree-meals-on-wheels.
- The Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cincinnati also partners with the Cincinnati Art Museum to offer Memories in the Museum. This monthly program includes a guided tour, light refreshments and an opportunity to create art. Go to https://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/events-programs/accessibility-programs/ and look for Memories in the Museum.
Assisting Hands of Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky is equipping its caregivers with training and resources to provide the highest quality dementia care. We offer everything from respite care to 24/7 services. We work with families to provide the care and services they need to keep their loved one safe at home. Get in touch today.