Giving the Gift of Experiences for the Holidays
One major challenge that adult children and family members tend to face over the holidays is finding the perfect gift for a senior relative who seems to have everything that they need. Often, elderly adults will declutter their belongings and downsize their homes as they go through retirement, and then they may not be interested in collecting any additional “stuff”. They may instead place far more value on spending time with their loved ones.
During the holiday season, the gift that may mean the most is offering them your undivided attention and time, instead of attempting to purchase the best possible gift for them. This type of gift may be referred to as an “experience gift”. Experience gifts can encourage a sense of bonding between loved ones and give you additional opportunities to make special memories.
Here’s a list of several ideas that may assist you as you work to decide on an experience gift that your elderly loved one will love:
Senior care providers in Houston say to consider the interests and hobbies that your senior loved one has always liked to participate in. There may be a hobby that they haven’t taken part in for several years, like painting, they might enjoy a class at a local school, or an athletic class if that’s more their style. Consider planning a family trip that includes several loved ones, while allowing the senior adult to enjoy their favorite activity.
Still another experience could be to plan a special family night out. It could be a night at the theater, a trip out to see a favorite musician or a trip to another local attraction. Some art museums and schools even host special holiday events for everyone to enjoy, like light shows or special screenings of holiday movies for everyone to enjoy together. Many of these places are also easily accessible for anyone who has a mobility issue.
Here are some other examples for experience gifts that your senior loved one may appreciate during the holidays:
- A spa day is sure to be appreciated by multiple members of your family, especially if you schedule appointments for facials, massages, pedicures, or manicures. These experiences can be quite enjoyable and may be an experience your loved one has never had.
- You may consider planning a family night with various activities and games that multiple generations of your loved ones can have fun with together.
- You could also consider planning a talent show for your family members and allow them to select, rehearse, and perform their own acts.
- You might also consider an experience gift that they can enjoy throughout the year.
- Consider purchasing season tickets to an event that they will enjoy, like the ballet, theater, or a local sports team. You may want to consider buying a pair of tickets so that your loved one can take a guest with them when they go.
Think about creating a coupon book so that your loved one can redeem the coupons for activities with a family member. A grandchild may be able to help them learn to use the computer or bake cookies with them, for example. The goal isn’t how much money you spend, but how many opportunities you’re able to create to spend time together.
Your goal is to think of ways that your loved ones can all be together, both during the holidays and throughout the entire year.
Latest posts by garrettl (see all)
- Houston Caregivers Recommend These Gifts For Your Elders Care Package - February 20, 2019
- The Best TV Shows For Houston Caregivers To Put On - February 19, 2019
- Take A Closer Look At Respite Care With The Best Houston Senior Care Agency - February 15, 2019